A training course designed to provide individuals with the skills and knowledge needed to offer initial assistance to someone experiencing a mental health crisis
What will I learn?
Mental health education empowers people to care for themselves and others by reducing stigma through understanding. Ouch hope to break down barriers to the support that people may need to stay well, recover, or manage their symptoms – to thrive in learning, work and life.
Employers have a ‘duty of care’. This means they must do all they reasonably can to support the mental health, safety, and well-being of their employees.
• Mental Health First Aid and the action plan
• The MHFAider® role
• What is Mental health?
• Helpful and unhelpful language
• Useful models to support the role
• What influences mental health?
• What is anxiety?
• Crisis first aid
• Active listening and empathy
• What are eating disorders?
• What is self-harm?
• What is substance misuse?
• Applying the mental health action plan
• What is depression?
• What is suicide?
• Crisis first aid continued
• What is psychosis?
• Recovery and lived experience
• Boundaries in the MHFAider® role
• Moving forward in the MHFAider® role
• My MHFA action plan
2 days (9am – 5pm)
No formal assessment
Validity of award
This certificate does not expire; however, refresher training is recommended every 3 years.
An in-depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
• Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
• Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
• Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
• Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support including self-help resources whether that’s through their employer, the NHS, or a mixture of different support strategies.
Included in the price
• Interactive and engaging course
• A digital MHFAider® certificate
• Access to the MHFAider® Support App®, which has 24/7 support, including a resource library full of toolkits, guidance, and animations for 3 years
• Hard copy workbook to support learning throughout the course
• A digital manual to refer to after completing the course
• A wallet-sized reference card with the Mental Health First Aid action plan
• The opportunity to be part of the largest MHAider® community in England
• Access to Free resources on the Ouch website, including Appointed Persons poster for your workplace
• Access to our customer portal to view your bookings, download previous certificates and generate training reports of your employees
• Automatic email reminders for certificate expiries
Who is the training suitable for?
The mental health first aid course is suitable for anyone who would like to learn more about mental health, some of the common mental health issues people may experience and support co-workers.
Training provided by
Ouch Learning and Development